Research Ethics, Governance & Integrity Unit
REGI Christmas Closing Period
The REGI Unit will be closed from 12pm on Friday 20 December 2019 and will re-open with skeleton staff on Monday 6 January 2020.
Please defer any new applications, amendments and reports until we re-open.
All submissions that require review prior to the closing period, must be submitted by Wednesday 27 November 2019 - any items submitted after this time will be reviewed once we re-open.
Important Message: Cyber Security Incident (Updated 19 November 2019)
Barwon Health experienced a cyber security incident on 30 September 2019 which affected all REGI applications, including emails.
Internal and external emails are now functioning as normal, however delays are expected when sending to or from an email address outside of Barwon Health. Unfortunately, Barwon Health does not currently have access to any emails sent prior to the cyber attack.
If you are still awaiting a response on an email sent on or prior to 30 September 2019, please resend to email@example.com and we will endeavour to respond as soon as possible.
We thank you for your patience during this challenging time.
Welcome to the home page of the Barwon Health Research Ethics, Governance & Integrity (REGI) Unit.
Barwon Health has a vibrant research culture and enviable track record in research achievements. This research activity is supported by the REGI Unit, located in Kitchener House. The REGI Unit is an organisational unit of the Research Directorate and manages the many aspects of research compliance, research ethics applications and review processes.
The REGI team has a strong background in research ethics and management and can provide support and advice on research design, data management and analysis, and ethics applications. They also offer training for less experienced researchers.
All Barwon Health staff and associates interested in research are encouraged to drop in to meet the REGI team and get some tips for negotiating research ethics and governance.
The REGI Unit's role is to ensure that:
- Barwon Health achieves research excellence and maintains the highest standards of research integrity and research conduct
- Barwon Health research complies with national and international research ethics and governance guidelines and laws and exemplifies best practice
The REGI Unit works to achieve these aims by:
- Providing support, advice and training to experienced and novice researchers on research design, data management and analysis, ethics applications and research dissemination
- Providing support for research oversight to regional partners and collaborators
- Coordinating all aspects of research oversight and compliance for research carried out under the auspices of Barwon Health
- Coordinating and convening the Barwon Health Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) and its associated sub-committee, the Research Review Committee
- Reviewing and managing insurance, indemnity and contract documentation associated with clinical trials
All correspondence and enquiries for REGI, RGO, and HREC, should be forwarded to REGI@barwonhealth.org.au.
Ethics application submissions: Ethics Review Manager (ERM) has now gone live. All researchers are required to submit their ethics application through ERM as Online Forms has now been archived. Negligble risk applications and all post approval items will continue to be processed as per usual practice. Existing users of Online Forms will be able to access ERM with their usual Online Forms login details.
ERM is a paperless information management system for completion, submission and storage of documentation for:
- Human Research Ethics Application (HREA)
- Victorian Specific Module (VSM)
- Site Specific Assessment (SSA) form
- All post approval forms (e.g. amendments, progress reports, safety reports etc)
For technical assistance, please email the Infonetica helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 19 November 2019
PO Box 281
Geelong VIC 3220
Phone: (03) 4215 3372