Research Ethics, Governance & Integrity Unit
COVID-19 Guidance for Research at Barwon Health
With guidance from the Barwon Health COVID-19 Clinical Reference Committee (CCRC), the previous guidelines of 22 March 2020 have been reviewed and updated relating to Clinical Research at Barwon Health. The challenges arising from COVID-19 are continually evolving and while a gradual return to regular research activity is desired, we must remain vigilant and so we ask you for your ongoing patience, flexibility and creativity as we work together through this global pandemic. Click here to view the updated COVID-19 Guidance for Research at Barwon Health.
REGI Unit Off-Site
The REGI Unit are currently working off-site until further notice and can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biostatistician, Dr Stella May Gwini, is also working off-site and can be contacted at email@example.com.
All research agreements requiring sign off must be provided via email, where they will be signed, scanned and emailed back to you. If it is essential that wet ink signatures are to be obtained on hardcopy agreements, please contact the REGI Unit to discuss.
Need to work from home? The Library webpage, electronic resources and services are all available to staff off-site - 'Google' 'Barwon Health Library Service' to find our homepage. Register as a Library Member to access the electronic resources. Fill out a Request Form if you require any assistance from the library. Contact the library for more information or assistance.
Transition to Ethics Review Manager (ERM)
The REGI Unit are making a full transition to ERM and will no longer be accepting submissions via email from 2 March 2020. All new applications and all post approval items (including amendments, safety items, and reports) should be submitted via ERM, however we will continue to accept email submissions up until 1 March 2020.
All approval letters, authorisation letters, acknowledgements, requests and feedback will also be provided via ERM (instead of email) to ensure all study documentation and correspondence is stored in one place.
For further information and instructions, see the ERM Guidance webpage.
Welcome to the home page of the Barwon Health Research Ethics, Governance & Integrity (REGI) Unit.
Barwon Health has a vibrant research culture and enviable track record in research achievements. This research activity is supported by the REGI Unit, located in Kitchener House. The REGI Unit is an organisational unit of the Research Directorate and manages the many aspects of research compliance, research ethics applications and review processes.
The REGI team has a strong background in research ethics and management and can provide support and advice on research design, data management and analysis, and ethics applications. They also offer training for less experienced researchers.
All Barwon Health staff and associates interested in research are encouraged to drop in to meet the REGI team and get some tips for negotiating research ethics and governance.
The REGI Unit's role is to ensure that:
- Barwon Health achieves research excellence and maintains the highest standards of research integrity and research conduct
- Barwon Health research complies with national and international research ethics and governance guidelines and laws and exemplifies best practice
The REGI Unit works to achieve these aims by:
- Providing support, advice and training to experienced and novice researchers on research design, data management and analysis, ethics applications and research dissemination
- Providing support for research oversight to regional partners and collaborators
- Coordinating all aspects of research oversight and compliance for research carried out under the auspices of Barwon Health
- Coordinating and convening the Barwon Health Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) and its associated sub-committee, the Research Review Committee
- Reviewing and managing insurance, indemnity and contract documentation associated with clinical trials
All enquiries for REGI, RGO, and HREC, should be forwarded to REGI@barwonhealth.org.au.
Last Modified: Wednesday, 27 May 2020
PO Box 281
Geelong VIC 3220
Phone: (03) 4215 3372